Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Day 1 in the Semester of Reading Biblically

Can you read the Bible, the entire Bible (including the Apocryphal texts) in the space of one month? I think I can. For those of you reading this who have never read the Bible before or need a reminder, I'd like to share a synopsis of the Good Book with you: Bible in a Minute

Today in class, we discussed stories with which we were familiar and those to which we weren't looking forward. What we didn't talk about, though, were which parts of the Bible we were excited to read. I'm personally looking forward to reading Song of Songs. I've heard it's a beautiful work of prose and that it's kind of sexy. We'll see.

On a closing not, Dr. Sexson mentioned today that most works of art can be traced back to their biblical origins. The number one thing that comes to mind when I think of biblically-inspired works is the song 'Hallelujah,' written by Leonard Cohen and covered by numerous artists, the most recognized version recorded by Jeff Buckley. I'll post it here for your listening pleasure; see if you can pick out the Bible references! Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment