Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Back to Black

For those of you who might be reading, it's been a hectic semester/beginning of summer. I've decided to return to the Red Tent. Writing is cathartic and I'm going to commit to blogging more. Catharsis is something I need while having roofers tear up my roof as we speak.

So, what have I been doing? This last semester, I was enrolled in Femininity in Early Modern France, Human Prehistory, History of Modern France, and Philosophy of Feminism. Typical. I did well in them all and am satisfied with my grades.

I moved in with lover at the beginning of summer. We are living in delicious sin.

So, where do I envision this blog going? I'm still going to keep with the themes of religion and constructions of gender. I will probably throw in musings on politics, pop culture, history, literature, and food because they are quite central to my life. Since this blog no longer has any academic requirements, it has the potential to go anywhere. So, here's some Amy Winehouse-



I'm currently reading three books simultaneously - A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith, Walking the Bible by Bruce Feiler, and The Five Books of Miriam: A Woman's Commentary on the Torah by Ellen Frankel. Let's nevermind Smith's work for now (I'll get back to it eventually, promise). The other two works focus primarily on the Torah. Feiler attempts to find the geographical locations highlighted in the first five books of the Bible - the Cave of the Patriarchs, the well where Jacob met Rachel, the precise spot where the Hebrews crossed the Red Sea, etc. The book also documents Feiler's effort to connect with his faith. Culturally Jewish, Feiler mentions several times in the text that he feel some special link to the Levant.

It's a compelling idea that's also present in the Frankel text. Her book relies on this notion of sisterhood among Jewish women. The commentary is presented in question form; that is, a passage from the Torah is summarized and questioned are asked about it. These questions are answered by various Biblical/mythical figures - Lilith, Eve, Sarah, Rebecca, Rachel, Leah, Dinah, and so on - as well as characters such as the Rabbis who composed Midrash (commentary on the Torah) and our Jewish grandmothers and mothers. It's filled with both academic facts and maternal wisdom. Frankel pays special attention to the role of gender in the Torah, a topic upon which there has been much scholarship, and is able to present it in a palatable manner.

Both of these pieces are fantastic so far. My only problem - and this is something that nothing new - is that both of these texts rely upon a spiritual worldview. Both authors insert their personal religious beliefs into their writing, which is fine. As a scholar and an atheist, however, it is my job to parse out what these writers are presenting as fact and what they're presenting as their own beliefs. It doesn't particularly bother me any if someone truly and completely believes that Moses wrote the Torah himself (which neither of these writers posits, just fyi), but it does help me to know why people believe that and how it informs their spirituality.

I'll keep you posted when I finish these bad boys and can give a complete report! Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment