Thursday, October 28, 2010

Extrapolation on my part?

I was watching Forrest Gump tonight. Of course, I had the Bible on my brain. Turn, Turn, Turn is on the soundtrack. Repetition is a huge component of the screenplay. Lieutenant Dan and Forrest engage in theodicy discussion. There's a female character who does lots of questionable things. People die  There's an unjust war.

About halfway through the movie (just about the time the hookers make fun of Lieutenant Dan for falling out of his wheelchair), I started thinking about Isaac and lacuna. I know we're supposed to be shifting to New Testament, but I took New Testament last year. I like Matthew and Luke.  I don't like Mark or John. Acts is okay, but I really don't care for the Epistles (Romans, 1st and 2nd Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1st and 2nd Thessalonians, 1st and 2nd Timothy, Titus, Philemon isn't too bad, Hebrews, James, 1st and 2nd Peter, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd John, and Jude). Revelation is just cool.

Anyhoo, Isaac. There isn't much in Genesis about Isaac. I have a theory about this: Isaac was so traumatized by his near-death experience when Abraham almost sacrificed him, that he, well, he became a little addled. Kind of like Forrest Gump. If there is any truth the stories of the patriarchs, maybe the reason there isn't much information about Isaac is because he was a little slow and people didn't like talking about him. But I think there could be a compelling story to be made surrounding Isaac. Like Thomas Mann did with Joseph and His Brothers, maybe the screenwriters were kind of filling in the gaps of the story of Isaac; that is, I think Forrest Gump might be an adaptation of the story of Isaac. If Isaac were a little slow, I imagine he would be like Forrest. Rebbecca could be like Jenny. Isaac may have had trouble making friends, but he had good, true friends like Bubba and Lieutenant Dan. I bet Isaac was a super sweet, generous, and genuinely kind person. Isaac getting fooled by his own family members is kind of like how people threw rocks at or took advantage of Forrest. Anyway, now Joseph and His Brothers is on my summer reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment